Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cilantro the mystery of bolting!

Cilantro




   Bolting - How many ways can this word be used?

   I can think of a couple different ways...  But the way this word is being used is this,
a plant wanting to flower.. Or my favorite,  a growth behavior in a plant.

  My understanding is that it's not just the weather that makes the plant want to bolt, but the soil gets too hot and makes the dynamics of the plant "think" it is time to die. So when the plant is in this stage, it goes to flower to set seed, thus finishes its circle of living, so new offspring can begin the next generation.

(Take that all !! Ha.) Im just kidding..
 
  Yes, most already know this, but when I put it in terms like this, I feel like I understand just a bit better.

   This is my thinking so research is key to getting the answer...

   If I were to try and seed Cilantro, I am most certain it wouldn't do much..

   But if the weather were to be of gentle nature,

  Soak your seeds in water for 24 to 48 hours, then let them set out and dry, seed them in a good seed starting mix. You are off to a great start. Keep them in light shade at the hottest part of the day.

 More Lettuce
    Today is number 3...   I have very exciting news...  I have SPROUTS.
         Okay, Ok! I Know so what! huh?
    The weather is excessive and, doubts are looming. I hope that I will get a great little harvest soon...

**Excessive Heat Warning**

 Today, there will not be another warning, still triple digits, though, "111 degrees." It is 7:20 a.m.
and it is 86 degrees.
 Mother Nature really unleashed the elements this time...  So the word is out drink a lot of water...


So what is up with that mystery tomato??
     *weird*
 still  no explanation, as of yet!

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain