Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Return Guest!! Welcome back!!

When I started blogging, I wrote about  Praying Mantis vs Hummingbirds...  Here is a recap!


One year, we were over run with a certain type of insect.

Guess!       No, that's not it!!

The one and the only...

Praying Mantis-




She's on my Bell pepper plant!  

    She was extremely camera shy It took ten shots to get her in this one!

    I have never realized how cool they really were until not having them around for quite sometime.

How alien looking they are?
    I didn't know that tan ones existed. Actually, until I read up on them, from the the link what's that bug, I didn't know there were so many different kinds..

   I had a swarm (is that accurate, or is pod or what? hmm!)  They certainly made it fun going out to the garden and seeing what else can be found.

As I was surfing the net I came across a mantis that actually caught and ate a hummingbird!

                No,    (really? ewwww!)

Hello!?!

     I love hummingbirds more than the praying mantis.. But that being said, What amazing power this insect has, to do that!  

    So count yourself lucky to have them in your garden maintaining control and keeping balance good or bad!

 Tomatoes


   Well my tomatoes are becoming compost fodder as I type.. there was only two little tomatoes left.   That's when I found the praying mantis...  

    I'm not sure what to put in it's place, yet, but, I want to get something in it's place soon...


     think, think, think....

Espalier


Does anyine have experience with this?  I am intrigued about this process and want to learn about it?

  I think I would like to try it, but I'm not sure what would be the better tree. I would like to know what web source would be recommended to learn from also, if anyone should know, Please share!

  


 JuJuBee Tree


    My husband came home with a little fruit called a Jujubee.  It is a Chinese date... It is a taste of a really dry apple..  It looks really neat to grow.  I want to see about getting one for my back yard,   I just don't know a lot about it! So I have much research to do! 

    On top of my plans for the front yard garden.....


 Please let me know if you have thoughts and suggestions or even comments on these, I would love, love, love to hear them.....


    This lead me to think and ponder the ideas of more exotic trees too, like mangoes and dragon fruit and a couple others... to add to the list of garden maybes...


Pumpkins and Gourds and Green Bean updates....

The pumpkin is reaching now!
Gourds reach for the sky!
Some green beans growing through the lattice...
 The green beans aren't doing great, but they are still growing so hopefully they will be successful enough!


    On to revamping some of the garden areas...

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain