Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

About.com


Thank You About.com

      I submitted this photo to about.com: Digital Photo Gallery, and it was so neat to see my picture on their page.. Excited yes, I have never done such a thing. Frankly, I am a bit of a private person.

      Tangent Gardening has been pulling me out of privacy little by little.. I have been stepping outside my comfort zone..

     "The Face of Beauty"
Submit an Entry: Digital Photo Gallery
See More About:
digital photo contest gallery


Upload Favorite Photo





"The Face of Beauty"

What Type of Camera and/or Lenses Did You Use?
     Eastman Camera Company, no special lenses, Kodak Easy Share 35mm, 4.0 mega-pixels


What Was the Weather Like? What Was the Lighting Like?
     It was normal lighting, outside under the patio, about late afternoon, and a very hot and humid day. This is a plant I have experience with trying to grow. I took this picture to keep a record of what the flower should look like next bloom. There was no flash, no special recourse. This flower is a part of the orchid family, Phalaenopsis, "Moth Orchid". As of now, it has lost all of its charm but come this late spring, I am in hopes of the next string of flowers.

Advice
      No true advice, other than just keep taking as many as you can, and that one moment will happen. Delete the unworthy and move on.

If You Remember, What Were the Camera's Settings?
     f/2.8 exposure, 1/30

What Type of Planning Was Needed to Set Up This Photo?
     No planning, I wanted to share the face of the Orchid.

Why Is This One of Your Favorite Photos?
     Give it a good look to see the face in the flower. The light color contrasting against the purple gives it drama.

Kyle Schurman, Digital Cameras Guide, says:
     Very nice photo, and a great idea of shooting photos of flowers in full bloom to compare them later!





New Garden Journal

How many of you started to make a journal about your garden and never finished?
   
     I have about four journals that has never been completed... I tried all different ways to complete one.. scrap booking, notebook, folder etc... Nothing has worked.

Tangent Gardening Journal front cover

     Then I came across something, I can't remember where I read  "this", I wish I did, it was brilliant. The light bulb in the head idea came on like "DING!"... or Why didn't I think of that?, moment! So, to whom wrote about this, Thank you, I think I have a chance of having an accurate record for the seasons or even the years to come...

     I have created a binder for "Tangent Gardening." I don't know why I haven't thought about this before...

One of the pages where the seed packets are stored

     I make my own seed envelopes, when I have harvested seeds, and I used trading card pocket protectors to put the the packets in. Above Is seed the seed packets that were store bought seeds. I have pencil storage pockets for miscellaneous things, like tape and scissors, maker etc...I have a notebook to jot things down. I also have page protectors to keep my favorite papers safe... So far so good!

 GREEN BEANS


Green Beans along with some really nice size peppers...




    I harvested an amazing amount of green beans this past week-end... I blanched and froze them, to save to use them in a recipe for green bean casserole for the Holiday Dinner.



     I have plenty more to harvest soon, I hope that I can get nice big harvest for the next big Holiday Dinner..





SEED HARVESTING


How many Gardeners let their plants go to seed?  

      I let several different plants go to seed: Basil, Chamomile.... Now Radish, and Garlic Chives... I have never realized how profusely they can procreate!...


Basil Flowers going to seed

Can you see the seeds hiding



Radish Flowers also going to seed
Radish seed pods, Did you know they come in pods?

Garlic Chive going to seed
Drying some Garlic Chives to store for later..



*In the Garlic Chive picture there is an insect which has an assassin bug resting on it
.*
     I have started collecting seeds for them. I made seed packets. Which are immensely easy... I got my pattern from the Internet.



     I actually let the Chamomile "go" to decorate where ever it wants to grow. It certainly comes out very beautiful and lacy like throughout Tangent...

 
The Peanut and Piglet antics!!!

     Peanut decided that she need to play with  a green bean, Who am I to take that away?

Don't let that green bean go now!
You be careful!! she is so protective of Peanut!
     Piglet is resting with me while I write, but at the same time she is keeping her on her new little Peanut! Such a proud Big Sister!!!

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain