Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Happiest Flower!

Sunflowers - Helianthus
 
This one is like 12 feet tall!


     So I went into my backyard and what do I see...

Another view of the "tall one..."



The best sunflower ever.... I wrote a post sometime ago about these flowers...


     I wish I could go to a field of sunflowers and watch them follow the sun...  I thought that I would revisit my old post and add some to it and  repost!
 








 Native to the Americas-
    These happy face flowers are annuals. They like late spring to be planted.
Warm weather and soil are their vice for success..

    I usually see them popping up from the bird seeds that is given to the menagerie of birds that visit every morning...


    So I am usual quite happy to see the volunteers all around my yard...
It just means that my backyard is full of life, that makes me just as happy as the flowers that visit... (and also make the birds happy as well.)



   Heliotropism- to follow the sun. This flower has a misconception, these flowers do not follow the sun. They typically face East then turn towards the west . Sometimes the littler flowers or young buds and leaves orient themselves towards the sun.
 

     I pretty much think that every one knows what to do with these flowers, from vases, to eating the seeds or using the oil...



    These flowers are always welcome in my yard at any point in time...


     Look at this crazy lookin one. It just had to be different... I guess that is why I love these flowers...
It is like they are their own reality... I am here see me flower!!! lol


     The past couple of days it has been quite cloudy, and I noticed that the sunflowers couldn't follower the sun... But today is hot and sunny and they are more than extremely happy!!!  Well, me too!!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYLEE......

So my daughter turned 17 on July 12...

I made a cake, we celebrated over the weekend... We had a Fiesta...

 Rylee being goofy and my step Dad giggling at her

 The cake was a white cake, tinted in purple tones and layered with raspberry sauce... It was a hit... One piece was left...



     Well,  I hope that this bring some sunshine to those that are in the middle of the rains....  


The happiest flower of the garden...


Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain