Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Friday, June 24, 2011

Soil, Compost, Rosemary, Oh My!...

     

 Soil

   The basis for a great garden is the soil. I know, I know... Everyone knows this.  But most make the mistake thinking that dirt is just that...    dirt.
    I, for one, learning as I go... and have went... in a weird around about way...  Thought that same concept,
until some years back.

   Having great soil consists of light loam with great organic material, with certain amendments that give plants the minerals needed to produce incredible veggies and fruit.

   Well if that is the case, then why in the world, does having fish fertilizer, compost, manure, etc... have such an impact on the out come!
*P- Phosphorus   N- Nitrogen (blood-meal, fish emulsion to name some) K- Potassium... these elements have the impact on the outcome...
   So doing research on these key elements should help in the creating of a great basis for soil.

   Composting

    I, for one really, suck at keeping my compost living and working (like it should).
    I keep throwing organic matter on the pile and never water and never turn it and blah, blah, blah!!

   But I have one and hey thats a start right? (right?) Okay! Okay!
Working on it!


   So this year or season, early spring,  I actually turned it and even used some of it in this seasons garden!

   Hah! So proof is in my garden essentially enjoying an okay compost, right about now!
  Oh! also I did do some debris burning in the plot. Not only is it enjoying compost it is enjoying potash... I am convinced that doing this for my garden made it so far so good... (I am confident, I am confident). (Just keep telling that to myself... ) jus' kidding.

 Rosemary-  a bush, an herb, ornamental or not.. It is one of my most (next to basil) favorite plant, in my yard. It smells fresh and amazing. Tastes wonderful on rolls and chicken, etc...

   I have had this amazing bush in my yard for quiet sometime. I think with all it has been through, "she" deserves to be labeled "she", especially after letting her get out of hand and become unruly.
 You know! I ignored her, I didn't prune her limbs or give her the attention that I have given all else to.
  But, just this past couple of days, I finally trimmed and pruned and dug around her and,, and , and, etc... You get the idea!

    Being a trooper like she is, readily gives up branches when I demand them and so on... Considering the heat, "She" is doing quite well.

   So unless you have a distaste for an earthy hint of pine and the majestic form they can produce in your yard GET ONE.
It is worth it!

Well for me any way!

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain