Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lettuce (Dos)

Okay

    I have picked my container for the lettuce Grand Rapids and Mesclun Mix, which I think is an heirloom variety. I have good soil in it and a possible place to have it. But I think it is possibly to hot out now, here's to trying anyway.




   I have a few bags of Amends, one day this week I am taking one and going to dig it in. That will be a good organic help with this hard working garden.  I did fooderize (our term for fertilizing) the garden yesterday..

   Yes, I did use the commercial stuff.. Sometimes the fish stuff is to much to handle, especially when it is real hot with no air circulation in my tiny enclosed backyard.
   So if there are suggestions of other types of organic fertilizers, that is inexpensive... Please by ALL means
 let me know.
   I would love to hear about it.


    MEET FRANKENSTEIN!!


   I was so proud of it, you see, in all my years of trying to get one to sprout, I have had only ONE do so. I named it Frankenstein.  In fact, it was around Halloween time when it started to sprout.   He was so happy. (And so was I)

   Then, something happened; I really don’t know what though… 

   He started to, what I call, have tantrums, I know, but hear me out! 
 
   It would have droopy leaves one day, I move the pot or turn it, and then he seemed to be fine. So I thought it was doing okay.  Then another week or two would go by, Frankenstein would do the same thing, have another tantrum.
   
   My conclusion was to transplant it…
 
   Frankenstein absolutely hated it…   the seed started to deteriorate. I thought that was  supposed to happen.
   My bad!
 
   Frankenstein still needed his seed.  His leaves went into extreme droop.  The edges of the leaves went paper like and dried out. Then the stem went black.

   Frankenstein ceases to exist.  


   Now I am at a point of wanting to try again. This time it would be….. wait for it….. 

   Yes!  that’s right!

   "The Bride of Frankenstein".

   So as I search for the right seed of the avocado to make into the bride, I only hope that I have learned that transplanting is not a thing to do to soon, and if I can find out why this happened in the first place. I will have her and children on the way…

If there's any luck to be had  ...



 

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain