Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Monday, June 27, 2011

Cucumbers, zucchini, radishes....
 Before I start to tangent  about these frustrating plants...


 A special treat I want to share,

   I wanted to tell you  about my trip to Tombstone, other than the incredible history, living and dead,
I had toured a place called the Rose Tree Museum. If you are a rose tree, or bush connoisseur, this is a must see... I have never in my lifetime, seen a monster of a Rose Tree.. This magnificent specimen, is a White Lady Banksia, It originated from China, but was shipped over to the states from Scotland.  This tree is as of  to date 125 years old. There is nothing they do, but water it. The ever spanning limbs is at close to 9000 square feet. Not to mention the trunk itself is, like, close to 6 feet tall and 3 feet round.
   The pruning takes approximately 2 months and two truck loads of clippings to be rid of. The flowers are double petal, white clusters. It is a climber and does well in zones 8-9, but doesn't do well in frost. Blooming happens in late spring. This particular bush blooms in April. It is extremely fragrant and an all around  superior species.

   Unfortunately, I missed the majestic display. This is what I got... (huge sigh!).

But seeing pictures they had,  made me imagine how beautiful it was.

Please go and see if you ever venture Tombstone.
April would be the better time to go!


On to cucumbers...


Now, how many of you growing Cucumbers find them as difficult to grow as I do? Maybe not many, but, for me, geez this plant is frustrating...

   It seems that the cucumber this season is doing okay, but I haven't seen a single cucumber as of yet! (and that has been since say march planted in-ground..)

It is getting the required amount of water and fertilizer!  I just can't confirm that I will get a single cucumber.

   I even planted radishes around it to detour the nasty stink bugs, vine bore bugs, and whatever else seems to want to threaten it.

   As it stands, we will see if I get anything from it this season or not... then maybe, I guess, I need to figure out a solution, well for a more successful season.  We love cucumbers and would like to keep it in the line up of garden must haves...

Zucchini - Well, although the "cuke" plant is doing better than "zukes", (I like the zukes more!) What is wrong with this plant?


"Zuke" in trouble!
  


  

So other than, of course cleaning up the area and pulling the radish out! What can I do?

I'm not sure what else to do to make it better.

A failure for this season of zucchini. (sigh!)




Radish -  I like the fact that radish protect plants, so companion planting is a very, very good thing.

 But really what do you do with them, there are not a lot of recipes for use of them.. You can eat them in a salad, make a pickle type from them, maybe a relish type, but wow, what can I do for a recipe other than the obvious...

   Ideas anyone????






 

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain