Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Monday, June 20, 2011

Tangent Gardening News Headlines

SUSPECT SPOTTED


 Bendire's Thrasher

Mr. Meany identified… 

   The suspect in question was seen on the morning of June 20th, eating a rotten tomato in the compost. A.K.A, Mr. Meany proceeded to eat tomato. A pursuit took place, but in the approach, Mr. Meany got away.

An APB has been issued for the look out of a brown bird with gold eyes and an abnormally large pick for a beak…

   Approach with caution,

           then shooo him away, scare him out of his witts so he will never come back again…


War on Pest
    
  One thing I have come across is Pentatomoidea … a.k.a Stink bugs shield bugs, chust bugs.

   I had thousands of Stink bugs one year, the walls were crawling.  Everything I read to get rid of this pest, said “You can’t stop them once they were established”.  Freaked me out…. (To say the least)...

   So, some articles I have read said, radish could help keep them away.   
   This, Year, I surrounded my zucchini, and cucumbers with radish seeds. As the plants grew, the radish sprouted and took form.   


On to the Diseases..

It seems to be common that plants get powdery mildew; I have got this before, on my zucchini. I never, really knew what to do. Mainly because, I really do not like the thought of having chemicals on anything I like to put on my dinner table. I am most positive that most you feel the same way. So I have heard and read that this is a good preventative to detour this problem...

 
  • 1 tablespoon of baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon of liquid soap
  • 1 gallon of water
   Couple of days before applying this mixture, it’s recommended that you water the infected plants, and don’t apply it in full sun. Try it first on a small area to test the plant before spraying the entire plant.
    
   I haven’t tried this yet, but it seems easy, and I am all about making it easy for me. I don’t have a plant that seems to be in trouble this year. But for the benefit of others, if it works for you maybe it could work for them.

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain