Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011










Here is a recent harvest of tomatoes: OMG! Salsa coming out of our ears, already! (that's okay, if that's all we had to eat, joy would be the ultimate word...)



    How about those tomatoes and eggplants?

    I am starting to get more bell peppers, hopefully the plants will produce more.


    I will be harvesting Swiss Chard, and I think that I will be making Swiss Chard rolls! More on that soon.



An update:

  * Green Onions planted, no spouts as of yet! 5 days in (when? already!)
  * Lettuce experiment- day 6 - lookin' good
  * Avocado- Well, haven't started my "Bride Of Frankenstein" yet, coming soon...

Basil -  

  My other favorite plant, "Yes," the basil plant, "Ocimum basilicum" or sweet basil.
 
   First, the fragrance is sweet and spicy (to me), So easy to grow, and to root. Hummingbirds seem to enjoy it. Beautiful varieties, the list goes on.

   If I was to choose only one type of basil to pick and grow it, I wouldn't be able to decide. The most common type "Ocimum basilicum"  is what I have in my yard.

This is one of my plants that just decided to show up!

It is just easy for me to grow right now.  A goal of mine is to get a couple of different varieties growing to use for making different gifts.


   Here are a few that peek my interest..
           (in order - "purple ruffles, a few of the colors I enjoy, and dark opal...)

   Now, don't get me wrong, it isn't like I have this immense amount of time to play around with this kind of thing. But, in a point of time, in my life, that would be the cooooliest!

   How many varieties are there you ask? I can't tell you!  But I know there are enough to make life sweet and spicy!!!



*** Excessive Heat ***    Yesterday reached   117°
Today it is a bit cooler but not by much  114° will be the  magic number...


           Drink a lot of water for those out there in this heat...

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain