Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Saturday, June 25, 2011

the mystery of eggplants

Eggplant- Not just a mystery anymore...

 Okay, I have this beautiful eggplant.   

   May I, first, say this is a real tough plant.

   I planted it last year. The weather was very harsh and cold this past winter. It totally died back practically having nothing left. I did nothing to dig it out or make it better. I mean nothing. So spring came and I started getting the plot ready to plant. Much to my surprise I noticed a couple of leaves emerging...

   I thought to myself,  "what?" I couldn't have imagined that it was still alive.
   I began watering and adding amendments and such... It worked..

 May I introduce back from the death bed itself.

      Rotunda Bianca Sfumata di Rosa.


Probably the toughest plant in itself.







   So, Now I have ample amount of fruit or veggies or whatever title preferred, to use up.

   I have grilled, deep fried, baked, and now used as substitute for meat. I diced it up, sauteed it with onions, and added manwich mix to make sloppy joes.

OMG! It was delish.

I only had one pound of hamburger.  I was thinking what can I do with this?  It weighed about a pound, I thought hmmm! So I commenced making half vegetarian and half meat dish. Well, success... Family members didn't have a clue of what I did.. That makes it a double success!

(whoop! whoop! what now?!!!) okay! okay! reeling it back already!



What do I do with this?   Gorgeous huh? Yes you guessed it!  Swiss Chard anyone?

   I planted this as an experiment, not realizing that it would actually
turn out this bejeweled and fancy eye pleasing vegetable...

   I had found a few blogs and sites that talked about it! But one blog
talked about using the leaves for example, like grape leaves.  So being thoughtful, and using my limited imagination, I came up with swiss chard rolls (you know) like cabbage rolls.

 Now, let me guess, someone has come up with this type of recipe or what not. But, I think I was actually being ummm, resourceful... So I would like to revel in my resourcefulness for a moment!!!

   Okay!    Done...

   I haven't actually made this yet! So, if someone out there has done this, and it went awry, then please by all means tell me! Would certainly appreciate it! 

One year we were over run with a certain type of insect.

Guess! No,

The one and the only...

Praying Mantis-

       VS


   I have never realized how cool they really were until not having them around for quite sometime.

How alien looking they are! I didn't know that tan ones existed too. I had a swarm (is that accurate, or is pod or what hmm!)  They certainly made it fun going out to the garden and seeing what else can be found.

As I was surfing the net I came across a mantis that actually caught and ate a hummingbird!

No,    (really! ewwww!)

Hello! I love hummingbirds more than the praying mantis.. But that being said, What amazing power this insect has, to do that!

So count yourself lucky to have them in your garden maintaining control and keeping balance good or bad!

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain