Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Water Element!

Water

   The giver of life... if over done, consequence - drowning.  The flip side... consequence - drought.
Having a balance is crucial to a giving garden. ("If you don't already know".)

   The question is... How do gardeners keep a balance? The answer, I don't know. So I began to read, and read and read some more. My answer....  Not given. (arrrrgh)

   I decided to assess my options. (with true frustrations).
Then, because I am bullheaded, sometimes (really sometimes), I decided to listen to my all too important better half, I put a dish out on the soil,the most bare spot and watered the garden.  Going by numbers given for an average (all approx. like a foot deep,), I determined that watering  for 30 minutes a day was perfect..

   Low and behold, as change is enviable, now I have to re-assess the amount of water, even in this bitter heat. As of now, when I am watering, I have a big flooded mess . (so just a thought to self, too much water all at once, disaster, duh?) (did I say, "bullheaded" hmmm yep!))



   I think that the schedule I have now, 30 min all at once,  should be changed to 10 min in the morning and 15 min in the late afternoon, since I am watering in the late afternoon as it were.
  Will this work? Not sure, but, trial and results are what this is all about.Yes? (for me)


 **(heat)**
   Far as I know, it (the heat) will not let up until well around November, and I have no ideas of perfect weather for sometime... So what will be good to plant for July, Hmmm! let me see, there are sites (really good sites) to find this out, but, I know that virtually nothing wants to grow in triple digit weather...


   But I have understanding that some squash, and pumpkins, will do okay. Putting those to thought, the holidays of Fall are just around the corner ...

   Blast this hot weather, but we are blessed with two distinct planting seasons... Spring and Fall...

    Speaking of heat, the hot spot in my yard, what to do?

   I am pretty sure that something will do fine there but as of right now, with the heat and all, I think that I waited too long to decide to do something.
   It won't hurt to think of a perfect plant to put there. I can put beans there, it will help replenish the nitrogen that it needs so badly... That's a start huh?




    Off to brain storm..

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain