Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Planting Season, Can't Wait.


     Don't you love when planting season is upon us (by the way, still waiting for my catalogs...)   ...  I have calculated and counted backward, whatever trick to think of, when it comes to get these veggies to grow...  I'm not very good at all this, as of yet! True,  I am working on it. 

     But this leads to my true thought,  I LOVE the Farmers Almanac. It does all the real hard mental work for us, YES? So most of my "in ground" planting will happen in the beginning of March after frost.
     On the list of veggies I want to grow includes Broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, melons, peppers, pumpkins, radish, spinach, squash, beans and possibly beets.
     I  have already seeded broccoli, peppers, jalapenos, eggplant. No signs of sprouts yet!  (sigh!!!) That was the on the 8th of Jan.


Something New to Learn :    

     I want to learn to plant by the moon.  What does this mean?  Well, it seems that, this is a practice of which the plant is affected by the phase of the moon.  Much more success with, plants and flowers that bear fruit above ground while the moon phase is during the waxing of the moon.  This is from the day the moon is new to the day that the moon is full.  Plants like, bulbs and veggies that bear fruit below ground while the moon phase is dark or waning, this is the day after the moon is full to the day the moon is new again.
     Now, will I do this?  I'm not sure. But obviously it worked for the farmers that did practice it, and that still do.  Being aware of the Moon is a must. That really isn't to hard for me, although connecting gardening and the moon phase is something I probably need to work on. I know that there is in depth information about how this is all in tune, "you know" with the tides and the pull of the Moon and stuff, but I guess I am bit lazy to actually read up right at the moment. If this does work. I will so be on the task of how this works...

Projects indoors
   
     So off the gardening topic for a moment well, kind of, I have an old beautiful fish tank that well seen it's last days of life. I can't get it clean any longer. The algae is so bad, that the tank won't come to it's former glory.

One of the Goldfish in front...

Some of my beautiful Bottle in the window reflecting, Cool huh?


     So I now will retire it to the goodwill for a new owner, new life.  Since I still have three gold fish that well, have a will to live...It's going on now, I would say 5 or 6 years, maybe longer ...  I went down to my local store and decided to buy a new tank, smaller one and much easier to take care of, to put these gold fish in to finish out the remaining years of their life.


     The goldfish aren't it the new tank yet! The tank is at acclimation stage, I have to temper the water and get air circulation going through it first.  Pictures will be posted soon of the "Old fish"...
 



 
Future project in the making..   
   
     Now when this tank becomes empty, my plan is to embark on my one interest, Carnivorous Plants, I think that this will be the neatest thing, having a terrarium full of these difficult plants to grow maintain and such... Master Gardeners will probably say different... I have hopes though...


Relaxation beyond Limits

     I think my furry children have it so good... Sometimes I'm jealous... hahaha!

Comfortable Much?
Good Morning Glory!!

Bright Eyes!

     Pea-Nut is catching up on some zzz's. It's tough tormenting the new sibling..

    Piglet is relaxing on higher grounds keeping away from the trouble makers... She is too mature for such childish games... hahaha!

   
     And of course the newest member is sleeping too...

Awwwe, Butter is so cute...

     Dreary days and sleep just go together so well don't you think!




Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain