Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Monday, May 14, 2012

RIP our garden friend!

    
Nice to see you this morning!



    I have very wretched, sad news to share tonight...  It all started Friday evening... Rylee went out to spend some time with Adolf and it was apparent.  You see, Adolf came into our lives sometime in Nov of 2011... I think there was a purpose... He was homeless, and hungry..  I watched from a distance and realized he needed some comfort and a bit of security.  I watched as he started to crawl up in to the engine of my car. Knowing that was not a smart thing to do... I called him over to my front yard... and struck a deal with him.. " I said, Now If you want, I will let you stay here at my door... But in return you have to keep an eye on things, like keep the scorpions away and other cats at bay... I will feed you and make sure you have water..

     Adolf agreed. He remained under the bushes in front to stay warm at night, When it got real cold, we put warm blankets out for him. He would curl up and be as happy as a snug bug  in a rug...  He kept other intruders away.
     He was very happy to stay where he was, until just recently... A group of huge dogs were rampaging the streets, and stumbled upon Adolf... He by the skin of his teeth got away, Thank goodness.. 

     So we decided to put him in the back yard.. He loved being back there. He, I don't think would ever have left, He had catnip at hand for whatever whim, food and water, bedding and a garden to dig in and make surprises for Rylee to clean up... Every day he would have his meal then waltz over to the sandy area, and well have a really wonderful, good feeling dirt bath...

    Friday night Rylee went out to feed him his insanely delicious meal as usual... But Adolf had no appetite.. Well, we thought that was odd... so the thought was it is hot out and he probably doesn't have much of an appetite.. that's okay...  Saturday morning he looked lazy and very sleepy, strange almost. Rylee mentioned that there seemed to something not right.. I told her, lets keep an eye on him and see what happens. Sunday comes around. He was a bit worse, and  not eating or drinking at all.  Now it's Monday and still nothing better... So Rylee and I talked about what the worse would be when we took him to the Vet.. We agreed if "it" had to be done, we needed to make sure that he wouldn't suffer.

Having a good stretch in the garden...

     But, the reality hit Rylee hard. The inevitable words were spoken.  "The kindest thing to do is not let him suffer any longer"...  Oh, my little girl, took it very hard, and there was not anything I could do to take her pain away...
    The Vet felt he went a wandering, Thursday night, and in his adventure got in to some trouble, possibly hit by a car, which seems entirely impossible because he never left the backyard.. Or that is what we were let to believe.  Oh Adolf, Why did you leave the back yard?
    The reality is he was an unneutered male cat, that roamed and did what all cats do.. If people keep thinking that having pets is the most wonderful thing, all I would ask is please be responsible and spay or neuter them so roaming would not be so important to them... Possibly keep them indoors where they belong... The senseless killing and hurting of animals as such, destroys compassion and love for anything that breathes. Maybe, some people look at it as that they are just animals, not people, but  people can say when "it" hurts, our furry friends have to endure when they hurt.. Is that the right thing? Not in my life time!

     Rylee, You are a brave responsible person, what furry friend wouldn't want you to be their heroin! I am very proud of you! We did the right thing, I promise that all will be okay!

     Adolf, I dedicate this post to you and all those precious furry friends that don't have the people that can give compassion for those unfortunate...

You will be missed my furry garden companion!


The sun feels so good this morning!
RIP Adolf   May 14, 20012

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain