Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Friday, September 2, 2011

Words to heavy to get out!

    Has anyone ever had everything to say but can't get it out in some way fashion or form... Well, That is me right now.

    I guess I can start with this: Weather, or for better terms "lack of".  It has been so hot!... How hot is it? So hot that, what ever you set out it melts in minutes...  Or you can tell by the tempers of people, especially with the drive home (can you say road rage much, geeze) ... The heat antagonizes every one, like a child sitting next to you poking a finger in your face and saying "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you"... 
    The heat advisory has been extended until 8:00 o'clock Sunday Evening... Temperatures are at record breaking stages of all time.  110's or more and  such, and no precipitation, winds desiccate everything, I really think that water is in much much need...


RECAPPING


    How about some catching up with some of the stars of my garden, A recap of sorts...

 Pumpkins - I had noticed that it was looking pretty stressed out so I did a little investigating right? I am watering and  making sure all is well... Guess what I find...
   
   Aphids- They are all over my pumpkin plants and they are not going away anytime soon,

and it is really getting my goat (well mad)...



    So I decide to use a type of organic type of solution to get rid of them.... And You know what happens?? 

Well, let me tell you! 

   I mix this solution, that makes me think I am doing something incredibly smart...

   Sorry to say I am the first idiot on the block and go against what was prescribe by the the solution: "DO NOT SPRAY ON LEAVES IN THE HEAT."
   Yea! I thought it meant not to spray when it was intensely hot...

   Not literally...Not to mention, that it still isn't controlling the Aphids!!!

   So look what it does when you go against it..

     Look what has become of my beautiful pumpkin plant...


   I think that it will not produce a pumpkin for me this time around... Huge sigh!!!


Birdhouse Gourds - They are doing great and I love what they look like through the Arcadia doors. The bottom of the plants looked a little stressed, again, I take a look to see what's going on... And hello?, Guess what in the world I find? You, got it!  APHIDS!!! Irritating, little booggersss... all over the bottom of the leaves, to the point that the leaves are curling...

   I mean Seriously??? Really? Wow!


   Green Beans - Well, ever since the attack of the little birds on the first attempt in planting them, I am not getting a great start with them. I have no great bushiness about them nor flowers... They even had a watering problem that was spotted by husband!!

before
After
   Not much of a change huh?

   Bell Peppers - They are so happy, taking a little while to get some peppers but the heat is delaying the fruiting of them, but my understanding is this, when the heat dies off a little they will start to produce again with great success... (I hope, with fingers crossed)


  
   Eggplants -  How successful have they been... they have been so successful that I am still getting produce..
 Well, Guess who will be eating fried eggplant again!!!!  ME!!


   Basil - I have so much of it that I will be making more jelly and pesto and... and... and... i haven't been able to get to make any yet! But I will...


   Garlic Chives - Flowering wonderfully, I think spring will be the time that I may divide them.. When I was reading up on them they were either a companion plant with bell  plants, or not. I had conflicting information. So a very wonderful blogger friend said that she didn't have any dilemmas with the onion family
planted among bell peppers. I certainly have to say that I agree. I do not have problems, with this certain companion planting... I will be continuing  this practice...



     


   New to Tangent

   Can you believe it?  I have sqaush and radish and carrots...
I am so excited...

   Introducing my squash that was trampled and such...



I have three mounds of these I hope I get something!!!

  
   Then I have carrots that are all different colors I can't wait to see If they will look as good as the pictures..

   I now the picture isn't very good but the green things are carrots ha-ha-ha!!!


and last but not least Radish....


Garden Visitors

    A new visitor that has found tangent interesting for him... Do you think this is a parasitic wasp?



   I do have a couple floating around and I don't want to be drastic and eliminate if these are needed.. Ya know what I mean??



Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain