Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Thursday, August 4, 2011

At it again!

After digging out the area of the compost to sit the can there, I still have the result of another whole bins worth of compost!


  It needs to break down more, but I've been thinkin' (I know, don't hurt myself, right?) hahaha..

  Couldn't I still just treat it like mulch and surround my plants with it?  I am little worried that it might cook the roots, though...

You see,

   I stepped out to evaluate things that needed to be done next.. The humidity and heat by standing and taking some pictures overwhelmed me. It was 7:00 in the morning and it was 90 degrees, the humidity made it feel like 70%, but it was only 30%.. The sun just knew how to make it feel miserable.

   I still need to plant things for the fall, cabbage, spinach, even broccoli...  just to name a few, but... with huge sighs I decided to give it a rest today... Maybe this is a day of brewing something up in the kitchen, or catching up on some reading in blog news...


Some Flutterby happiness...

   I spotted this flutterby. I don't know what type of insect it is, my girls used to call them flutterby's, so to this day that is their given name, well, until I can really identify them.. 

   Well, this one is upside down and face buried in the flower, I suppose it is extremely hungry, don't you think?

 

Troopin along!

   I am quite lucky to still, in this heat, get peppers, and tomatoes..

   As you can see, maybe, The one pepper has like sun scald on it.. but there is like three more on this plant alone...


Just one more tomato..  Hiding in the shade of the surrounding leaves... Your probably thinkin, but didn't you yank out the tomato plants, Why yes! Yes I did... But I had a few other tomato that self sown, I think that some were Roma and of course Heirloom Pear had self sown.. I was very fortunate this last spring..

 Vibrant Yellow!!!


   Representing The atmosphere, I thought this fitting to show how hot the day started out!
The Yellow of the heirloom tomatoes and marigolds underneath the basil is so vibrant that I had to show it off.... You can See a little to much,( ha ha ha!) weeds and a dead salvia.. But It looks how it feels outside...

   It looks Like I have some seed pods for more marigolds.. Yea!


Another Experiment!!
   I decided to try growing some sunflower seeds in a pot to see what would come of it! I planted these on Monday. It is Thursday and look how amazing this is. I planted five in a pot I have three sprouting.  Cool huh?


 Here Today Gone Tomorrow!!


   Here is hibiscus- called "lipstick"  This plant takes  forever for it to bloom. I usually get about four or five blooms a year, and of course the flower only last a day... Here is a chance to see before it is gone tomorrow..




Shabby not chic!!!



   Here is that plant that I want to yank out!  I think having a container garden will work wonderfully in that place... 
    Today will be the day to purchase some pots.

   But I think I will be concentrating on the area under the ledge of the window.



That is an area of sun, heat, and wind.. So Am I crazier than ****?, well, maybe, again, (it was proven once) ha! but chance of another time,...   maybe not!



  

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain