Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Sunday, August 14, 2011

What do you suppose I see?

    The Other Night! The words "And Let there BE RAINNNNN!!!" came to my head when I heard the thunder... But of course, It was late in the night, so I couldn't get my tired fatigued self out of my cozy sheet, to go watch some rain. As I fell back to sleep, I was thinking and hoping that I would be able to get out and play around and do some weeding and things...

   Far be it from me to think such a thing, I couldn't even get my self up by 6:00 a.m. to feed the birds some seed. I did though. But, that was it!

    I managed to take some pictures,

   What do you suppose I see?, and what  I took a picture of ?, ha ha ha!!!!



 YES!!!    That's It,   "THE RAIN GAUGE"   The thing actually has rain in it!!  It has 2/8ths of an inch, a quarter of an inch... However you want to say it!!! IT HAS RAIN IN IT...


   Can you see or feel my lame excitement??? All I could think of  is Why in the world did I buy this thing? And... Now I can say, Hooray!!! I bought the thing!!!... hahaha!!!
Had to laugh at that! And wanted to share!

   Noticing things around and about like I have said not much has changed ...  I still have weeds, and some things to rake up and things to plant...  I am anticipating, in an anxious hope that I get some cabbage! Just because I have never tried planting or growing them before. It has been about a week and I see zilch...

  Oh, Yes! I do have weeds though, sprouting up by where I planted the cabbage and the broccoli... I guess, waiting is waiting!!!

   The birds were having a morning feast on the basil, so I went to check out what was so yummy! This is what I found!

   All the black spots on the pavers, That my blogging friends, that is basil seed, So guess, what I won't have to plant next year!?!   BASIL... Just like every year I have Chamomile sprout up in February, every where...Now I hope that I will have basil do the same thing!


A new visitor

  I pushed some plants to the side, a shadowy thing flew to another part of the plant, I investigated it and realized it was an insect of course, but one I have never seen before.  It was kind neat looking. all black, except the head, it was red, it had wings kind of blueish black... It was very cool looking, so I snapped this picture just before it disappeared.



Looking at my cucumber, something tells me that it's time to yank it out... They really are not producing and they are now attracting white flies the things that never go away...

 Wouldn't you think the same of it? I think I am done with it taking over my yard! So out it comes!!!
I wonder what I could plant in it's place???


A Link that I found very Helpful!!!

http://www.gardeninginarizona.com/calendar.html

   According to the Phoenix Gardening Calender, For August planting, I can sow,  Gaillardia, Marigold, Nasturnium, Shasta Daisy, Zinnia 

In the vegetable garden


- Plant bush beans, corn, eggplant, peas, summer squash, tomatoes.

 For the desert this is the time for summer growing season.. 



I am quite excited to plant nasturtium, I had great success with them this past spring...
 
 
Eggplants

   I will be picking some again, I have dried some, so I can useit this winter..  But today I will be making Fried eggplant today. When I mention that,the whole house went into a buzz.. Fried eggplant, Really WE LOVE Fried EGGPLANT, (in my mind since when....), but it made some impact because the kids couldn't wait at having some.. 

Wow, sometimes the amazement in my mind astounds me!

So off the picking Eggplant!!!

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain