Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Friday, July 15, 2011

bird house gourds and pumpkins ....

Fall Planting and My Bird House gourds...

      My bird house gourds are off to a great start. I planted them on the July 8, - it has been 7 days so far.
Around Halloween (the end of Oct.) I can harvest my gourds.

   How exciting is that?..
        Pumpkins - Gourds at Halloween how fun is that!

Happy pumpkins!

Happy Gourds!!!



        For my pumpkins they are very happy..

     But I noticed that they are getting nibbled on and I think that the menagerie of birds are pecking at them... Is that possible?
        I thought I had a deal with them I give them a refuge food water safe (some what) haven and everyone is happy! But Not Everyone... Me! I'm not happy if they are going to nibble on my plants like that!

 
Nibbled Green Beans!!!









 


  
    Whats in season for AZ August- September...?

    Apples, Arugula, Basil, Black Eyed Peas, Chard, Chiles, Cucumbers, Eggplants, Late Crop- Figs, Parsley, Melons, Okra, Peaches, Peppers, summer- winter squash...

    Well I have Basil, Chiles, Eggplant, Parsley, Peppers.. so far! (chard too, but not a fan Of the taste)...




***Heat Warnings***

                  NONE... Beautiful weather again...
                              103° - still a little warm you know but... No complaints!


    This weekend,    Eggplants will be picked and made ready to Dehydrate!  When I posted  drying eggplants, I found out that blanching them before drying them will be the best...

    August will be the time to remove a lot of stuff out of the garden plot... The Peppers will stay and I hope to leave the Tomatoes and the a couple of the basil plants... Oh yea! I have garlic chives too, that will stay... so what will be put in empty spaces...

 Still not sure...

                  Brainstorming in process...

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain