Tangent Gardening "Extras"

Urban Gardening in unnatural heat... Why Not?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Birds, Weeds, and Heat...

   Okay, I want to start with weeds first, then birds and heat...
 I think these are called either spotted spurge or prostrated knotweed.










   Not only do I have such an issue with birds, but the WEEDS...  I know that it is a given, there will be weeds... always.... Although, seriously I seem to have nothing  but "them" everywhere!!!
   What the heck?!!

  Okay I'm not complaining...  But more I'm more perplexed...

   How do I deal with these particular weeds?

   What are  these things?... I actually think it is creeping spurge...

    I know that getting an herbicide is an option... But I really think that it would affect the dynamics of the backyard in someway.  If there is any ideas out there I would love, love, love to hear them?
   Everything that I have read, says once these weeds are there that's it! You can't get rid of them!  

What? (I ask myself?)

AND, Herbicides won't do a thing once these weeds are mature! And most of my weeds are mature!!!

Now What? Throw in the proverbial towel? Not an option **REPEAT NOT AN OPTION!!!**

 


***  The BIRDS ***

Nooo!     It isn't the old "Hitchcock movie"... But, man! They are quite active... 
   
    Showing compassion towards my sparrows and doves... and even the few that I'm not even sure of,  is very frustrating just to say the least, especially, the fact that they are eating my green beans...  and a little nibble on the pumpkin.



     But with a humble sigh, they are cute and flighty free... They have a tenacity of an animal that I can't even come up with... So what is the remedy for this situation... Other than shooing them away? hmmm!!!
  
     Well, more thinkin to do huh?



 *** Heat***
-Old Mr. Heat Miser-

    Sweltering in the heat, I have maybe two hours in the mornings, and maybe, say about  an hour and a half in the evening to play outside...
    Even if I wanted to be out when its warmer than usual, I wouldn't really be able to do much in this heat...  although, I really can't complain about the weather as much... It is still dangerous to be in this kind of heat, tho, without the proper type of concerns and getup.. Like water, water, water and more water... Hat, sunscreen, a breathable long sleeved shirt. Oh! Did I say water?
    I feel like we have to gear up to do battle... Can you picture it?  A person standing tall, wearing a wide brimmed hat, one hand holding a rake, and in the other hand the water hose... holstered around their waist, the pruners and gloves, looking down at Old Mr. Heat Miser-square in his eyes, or whomever your ready to do battle and the sun to your back... Ready to Beat the Heat!!!

   As long as you take the proper precautions... it would be doable to do battle, against the heat..  (you know Mr. Heat Miser and his antics...)

Something pretty to look at now...


Back to looking at sunflowers
    I didn't do anything to this picture but wait until after dusk to take it.. I love the purplish-blue that makes the yellow stand out, Don't you?

Bird ponder, along with weed eradicating time....

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain